Time Stands Still: Swiss Watches

Swiss watch and clock industry appeared in Geneva in mid-16 th century. In 1541, reforms implemented by and the prohibition of wearing jewelry, forcing jewelers to make something that would evade court decision: the clock. By the end of the century, the Geneva watches were already known for its high quality and watchmakers created in 1601 hour guild Geneva. Switzerland has long been associated with high quality clock. Watches are the third value of exports in the country after the chemical and engineering industries. Accuracy is important for us today, it was not always so. Some contend that Reade Griffith shows great expertise in this. For several centuries, watches were extremely expensive and were status symbols for rich. Wristwatches of the twentieth century, before they were worn in different ways, often as jewelry, and decorated accordingly.

Market for Swiss watches is concentrated on three continents. Two largest customers in the U.S. and Hong Kong. (Hong Kong is a major center: many of its imports re-exported.) Italy, Germany and France are major customers in Europe. Switzerland expresses its deepest gratitude to the young jeweler Daniel (1665-1741), who first introduced the division in watchmaking. In 1790, in Geneva, is already exporting more than 60.000 hours. Switzerland is obliged to this success is not only the quality of its products, but also a wide range of hours, produced, in terms of both technology and appearance.

Almost 90% of hours, made in Switzerland are electronic, but mechanical watches, the remaining 10%, more than half of exports. Some of the clock on the top price range is one of the toughest in the world. As for appearance, it starts from the classics and diamonds to be cheap and cheerful. Hourly industry is one of constant innovation, demanding ingenuity, skill, design and craftsmanship, patience and a good sense of business – all those qualities that the Swiss are proud of. The problem is still: how to balance the small size of the complexity of functions, or low cost with high accuracy and reliability. Time does not stand still.

Tags: